By Shantanu Prasher
Breakups are hard. Hearts are broken, emotions are played with, and what not! It’s hard to believe how easily your partner has bailed out of a relationship you deeply invested yourself in. It makes you question everything – the people you meet, the things you like, and sometimes, even your own existence. But it is what it is, shit happens and there’s nothing better than moving on. But it’s easier said than done, right? Well, blame it on the things we just don’t stop doing after we break up. Here are 10 things you need to stop doing ASAP if you really want to get over the person whom you love to hate now.
1) Trying to be friends only because you can’t imagine life without her. Being friends after a breakup will only hurt you more, and you will see yourself frozen in the same moment you were in when you broke up. If there was actual love, you two can’t ever be friends! So, just spare this ‘can we be just friends’ bullshit.
2) Stop trying to forgive your ex. I mean come on, you got hurt bad, and forgiveness just isn’t supposed to come naturally. If you can’t forgive her/him, then don’t. No point forcing yourself to do something.
3) Looking for rebound relationships and sex. Contrary to popular belief, dating new people and sleeping around will not act as a remedy for your broken heart. It won’t, period! Not only will you feel bad about jumping into it too quickly but you will also expose yourself to another potential heartbreak.
4) Trying too hard to change yourself. ‘I will show her what a mistake she committed leaving me.’ Nope, you really don’t have to do that. You were at your best when you were in a relationship and so are you after the breakup. Trying to change yourself is only making your ex the fuel for the change.
5) Stop cursing and cussing LOVE. Just because you were unlucky in love once, it doesn’t mean that love does not exist. It’s just that you met the wrong person. Don’t ever give up on love!
6) Drunk texting/calling is a bitch! Just when you think you are over your ex, a few drinks bring back all the memories, and in no time, you will be crying your heart out on text/call. While it’s natural for this to happen but you have got to control it anyhow. Call your friend, watch something, hell, just do anything but NEVER call your ex. You will only regret this the next morning.
7) Finding solace in alcohol and other neutralizing substances. While numbing yourself out with these might temporarily help forget the pain, frustration and sadness is bound to follow later.
8) Wondering how things could have been different. The best way to get over a heartbreak is to face the fact. Stop daydreaming about ‘how things could have worked out or how we could have lived happily ever after’. The fact is you aren’t together, and that’s that.
9) Crying over and over again, and talking about it endlessly with friends. It’s simple, if you find yourself crying too often, you are clearly holding on to the emotional baggage. Same goes for talking about it all the damn time with your friends. Come on, you can do better!
10) Stop comparing your next with your ex. He/she might be a great person but everybody is different. This comparison will only ruin the possibility of your next relationship working out better than your previous one.
Photo: © Eros International (Main Image)